sunny slopes of the hindu kush

sunny slopes of the hindu kush
Willard Kurtz's room

Monday, January 4, 2010

on the edge of the empire

The following is a poem by the Chinese poet Li Po.  I discovered him over 30 years ago in a book of poems translated by Ezra Pound.  Tonight the moon is full over the Hindu Kush Mountains here at Bagram Air Base with Li Po's voice whispering from the peaks.



Taking Leave of a Friend



Blue mountains lie beyond the north wall;
Round the city's eastern side flows the white water.
Here we part, friend, once forever.
You go ten thousand miles, drifting away
Like an unrooted water-grass.
Oh, the floating clouds and the thoughts of a wanderer!
Oh, the sunset and the longing of an old friend!
We ride away from each other, waving our hands,
While our horses neigh softly, softly .

Li Po 701-762

http://www.lewisandclarkexpeditions.net/

1 comment:

  1. Mike,

    I just read your blog and you are doing such a good thing by being over in Afghanistan. There just can't be anything easy about your job. I must say your comments have moved me - you are a deep thinking person. I'm not joking around as I know my other half might do just for levity. I really admire what you are doing. If I read your comments out loud I would not get through them without shedding tears. Keep it up for all of us. Hope to see you along the path of life.
    I have never commented on a blog before so I don't know the protocol so I'm going as anonymous but I will sign off as Margie Conroy!

    ReplyDelete